Ciceron and Be The Match leverage VR at Super Bowl LIVE to bring critical awareness to the need to diversify the marrow registry

Ciceron, a digital agency in Minneapolis, and Visual VR, a virtual reality producer also in Minneapolis, have delivered a virtual reality experience to participants of Super Bowl LIVE on behalf of their client, Be The Match®. Super Bowl LIVE attendees are encouraged to don virtual reality goggles and use a giant swab to find their genetic match inside the game and better understand the need for diversity on the bone marrow registry as a result. In the first several days of Super Bowl LIVE, a large number of visitors have indicated this is their first experience in VR.

Super Bowl LII is expected to draw over one million visitors to the Twin Cities, and Super Bowl LIVE is a free, 10-day street festival and business showcase leading up to the big game. For Be The Match, it also represents a golden opportunity to gain awareness for their life-saving mission. A marrow transplant from a matching donor is often the only hope of a cure for those facing blood cancers and other blood disorders. While a White patient in need has a 77% chance of finding a match on the registry, an African American or Black patient has only a 23% chance.

Ciceron serves as digital agency of record for Be The Match and developed the VR experience in collaboration with Visual, a VR start-up founded by online video pioneer Chuck Olsen, in which Ciceron owners Andrew Eklund and Kraig Larson are both investors.

“Much has been made of virtual reality as the next frontier for digital,” said Andrew Eklund, Founder & CEO at Ciceron, “the question becomes, how can we best use VR so that it serves a purpose beyond the newest engagement technology? For Be The Match, we’ve taken the experience beyond brand exposure and into education for their life-saving cause.”

“We knew that Super Bowl LIVE would be prime time for local awareness, but when it comes to the need for diversity on the marrow registry, we also knew that we needed something that went beyond traditional marketing tactics,” said Amy Alegi, VP of Marketing at Be The Match. “We collaborated with Ciceron to deliver this fully immersive experience, and have already seen the spark it inspires in many to join the registry and ultimately save a life.”

About Ciceron: Ciceron is one of the United States’ first full-service digital marketing agencies, having continuously served clients for the past 23 years. The firm has a long history of breaking new ground in emerging technology, creative expressions, changing consumer behaviors, and using data to drive real value for brands. Today, Ciceron continues to thrive as leaders in unified digital media where all channels are traded and optimized in real time, analytics become actionable, and people are delivered relevant creative experiences.

About Be The Match®
For people with life-threatening blood cancers—like leukemia and lymphoma—or other diseases, a cure exists. Be The Match connects patients with their donor match for a life-saving marrow or umbilical cord blood transplant. People can contribute to the cure as a member of the Be The Match Registry®, financial contributor or volunteer. Be The Match provides patients and their families one-on-one support, education, and guidance before, during and after transplant.

Be The Match is operated by the National Marrow Donor Program® (NMDP), a nonprofit organization that matches patients with donors, educates health care professionals and conducts research through its research program, CIBMTR® (Center for International Blood and Marrow Transplant Research®), so more lives can be saved. To learn more about the cure, visit BeTheMatch.org or call 1 (800) MARROW-2.