Feb 15, 2023
5 Social Updates That Heated Up Summer.August 17, 2022
If the social media space had its own Netflix show, this season did not disappoint. There was drama, newcomers and even some back-tracking. Here are our top 5 things-you-don’t-want-to-miss from this summer.
- Instagram tried to pull a TikTok and people aren’t happy. After major blowback from their most loyal followers, some of the changes are now being rolled back.
- BeReal has officially arrived. Gen Z’s new favorite social sharing platform is now ranked the #4 most downloaded social media app with 10 million total downloads. The app pushes back on the idea of “perfection” and encourages users to post unstaged, unfiltered photos with a front-and-back camera view. Not to be left behind, Instagram is now testing a similar ‘Dual’ camera mode to boost its own performance.
- Reels, reels, reels. They are a top priority for Meta, now making up over 20% of all time spent on Instagram. Meta is adding new ways for users to remix content into Reels, as well as creating Reels in creator studio within Meta’s business manager.
- Snapchat is rolling out to desktop. The initial rollout will only be available to Snapchat Plus subscribers—the first major rollout since they announced this paid subscription option in June.
- Twitter and the Elon Musk of it all was the biggest cliffhanger of the summer. Things haven’t progressed too much since the last time we weighed in. Twitter provided insight on how it detects fake accounts and Musk filed an official letter with the SEC stating Twitter will need to provide more evidence in order for the deal to progress. Stay tuned.