Get VR’d for Super Bowl LIVE 2018

Ciceron brought VR to life for Be The Match

The 2018 Super Bowl in Minneapolis was expected to draw over one million visitors to our city. This presented a prime opportunity for local businesses and organizations to reach a broader audience than ever before. For Be The Match, a local non-profit that connects patients with life-threatening blood cancers to donors, the stakes were even higher. As their digital agency of record, Ciceron was tasked to create a truly unique and memorable experience to help better relate their mission and the need for diversity on the bone marrow registry. Using the platform of Super Bowl LIVE, the 10-day festival and business showcase leading up to the big game, Ciceron created an entertaining and educational virtual reality event.

We knew that Super Bowl LIVE would be prime time for local awareness, but when it comes to the need for diversity on the marrow registry, we also knew that we needed something that went beyond traditional marketing tactics.

— Amy Alegi VP of Marketing Be The Match

Objective

A marrow transplant for a matching donor is often the only hope of a cure for those facing blood cancers and other blood disorders. While a White patient in need has a 77% chance of finding a match on the registry, an African American or a Black patient has only a 23% chance. Our goal was to create an enjoyable experience for attendees while also informing and educating them about the need for diversity within the Be The Match registry.

Solution

Guests were asked to don VR goggles and use a giant swab to find their genetic match inside the virtual reality game. This was fun and engaging, while also raising awareness.

Results

Taking advantage of the 1,000,000 people visiting Minneapolis for the Super Bowl, the VR experience was a huge hit for Be The Match awareness and education. Attendees walked away having learned about Be The Match and the life-saving work they are doing, as well as the importance of registering and donating. In the first several days of Super Bowl LIVE, a large number of visitors also indicated this was their very first VR experience.


Ciceron partnered with Visual, a Minneapolis-based virtual reality technology company with a heart. Visual is a VR start-up founded by online video pioneer Chuck Olsen, with seed funding from Ciceron owners Andrew Eklund and Kraig Larson.

Contact us